[repo-coord] Re: repo agnostic package resolvers (was: Latest apt broken?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net
Thu Jan 20 01:58:59 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 08:43:43AM +0800, Jeff Pitman wrote:
> On Thursday 20 January 2005 01:52, seth vidal wrote:
> > And yet it makes the pkg mgmt a nightmare b/c now, instead of being
> > able to key on file name I have to go find the packages the provide
> > that file (or worse yet, if wildcards are involved) then figure out
> > the arch for those involved and match.
>
> How do you do "Requires: /usr/sbin/alternatives" ?  I didn't think
> wildcards were involved .. can't see an immediate use for that.
> Explicit is better than implicit on this one.

I believe Seth is talking about implementing this behaviour in yum
(e.g. how a package resolver is going to traverse all packages to see
which ones provided this file to kick out).

It is in principle similar to the Requires seek, only that there a
package resolver can stop at the first match, which in the case of
Obsoletes/Conflicts it has to check everything.

Also wildcards make little sense for requires, but can be used for
Obsoletes/Conflicts (e.g. kde.spec could contain Obsoletes:
/usr/bin/gnome-* and vice versa ;).

From a packager's POV the more expressive power rpm gets the better :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net