[repo-coord] Noarch Naming Scheme

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Aug 31 02:29:01 CEST 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Jeff Pitman wrote:

> My noarch packages will work on all distributions, I will be dropping
> the DISTTAG.  But, the REPOTAG doesn't make sense by itself either. So,
> currently, I just have a plain noarch there.  From an apt/yum
> perspective, the repository is "Python 2.3" instead of "Fedora Core 2"
> or whatever.  So, I could possibly use a DISTTAG of "py2.3" or
> something.
>
> What are your thoughts on what should be done here?

Well, I'm curious to how you can be sure the python-modules are not
python-dependant. (And what the mechanism is for loading these modules
when they are placed where they are placed :))

Furthermore, if the place is not the default one, what about having
the same modules installed that have a different naming-scheme applied.
You could be using another module than you think you're using.

So, although I can understand people wanting a newer python on an older
system, or an older python on a newer system in specific cases. I don't
think generic python modules serve the general cause very well.

But if there aren't any disadvantages to what you're doing, I'm seriously
wondering why it was designed as it is designed. And we may need to ask
Red Hat why they're doing it like that, or ask Python ?

Now, on to the question :) We're using a disttag of '0' if we don't want a
disttag. So that they can be easily located in your shell without too much
effort (think: find . -name '*.0.dag.i386.rpm' or doing things
with ${rpm%-*-*})

We're basicly using it for huge packages that contain data like themes,
moviepacks and other generic datafiles. Or for binary-only packages that
have no other tweaks than the binaries they ship. It can only be applied
of course if they work for _all_ the distributions, if there's one
exception the deal is off.

Kind regards,