[repo-coord] Opening the Group-tag debate

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Aug 19 16:34:46 CEST 2004

Hi,

I realised (again) that there is a real need for better categorizing
packages into Groups. Now, there are a few options, more involved parties
and possibly even more strong opinions.

The debate preferably should be between all interested parties (ie.
rpm-devel, all 3rd party repos, mandrake, PLD, SuSE, Red Hat). So this is
not going to be easy.

Therefor I'd like to start here with a discussion that hopefully results
in some sort of whitepaper laying down what would be the scale of options
and a recommendation. Which we then can take to all the parties to
discuss.

Here's a small list of thoughts about the very issue:

 + Extend the current list of Groups

   Take /usr/share/doc/rpm-*/GROUPS, add the ones Red Hat added with
   recent packages (eg. tomcat-test), add some widely used ones (like
   Applications/CPAN) and then look what packages would need a much better
   category then they are now part of. Instead of directly suggesting
   names, I prefer to described what it is for. We can later map it into
   the existing namespace.

	eg.	a category for network debugging tools
		a category for educational software
		a category for plugins/themes

   The same effort could also deprecate some of the badly used Groups. Or
   split existing Groups that are now overly used. (synaptic shows that
   rather well)

 + Allow for multiple categories

   Either by having this feature into RPM (low chance) or by working
   around it using metadata (see Morten's email). I think Mandrake is
   doing this already, so a working implementation (albeit dated) exists.

If people from other packaging groups or distributions are looking, please
join this debate instead of implementing something new. I rather now about
existing other implementations so that we can adapt to that and converge
to a single namespace in the long run.

Also, keep the replies to the point (or take things in private when having
subdiscussions), I don't want another brainstorm session that will
end up dividing us even more...