[repo-coord] Re: Repo information inside rpm?

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Sat Aug 14 16:18:52 CEST 2004

On Saturday 14 August 2004 19:11, Axel Thimm wrote:
> There are tons of uses for providing additional information that can
> drive a build system for instance, or a repo creation daemon (for
> which distributions to build, stability classes etc.), that don't fit
> within the rpm/specfile proper and would very well be served by an
> external description file.

I think this is where grouping/categories is going using the comps.xml
format, which the comps package provides.  I'm wondering if there is
much needed volatile meta-data, would the comps.xml format be able to
come to the rescue?  We could package every repo's comps.xml and
createrepo metadata in a standard package name: repo-config or
repo-comps or whatever.

I find this comment, found at the beginning of the xml file,
interesting:

<!--  <meta> -->
<!-- Meta information will go here eventually -->

Redhat didn't package the DTD, so I'm lost really.  But, it would be
nice to have a janitor tool to help generate comps (createrepo requires
an existing comps.xml to be pre-created for group information.) and
maybe even be able to publish web pages based on the information
contained therein.  Createrepo also creates a large amount of meta-data
for a repository, so maybe this should be poked at some more.

take care,

--
-jeff