[ATrpms-users] FC6 suspend2 kernel dependency problems

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 1 06:21:30 CET 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 09:57:33PM -0500, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 00:24 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:57:25PM -0500, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> > > Today I decided to clean up some older suspend2 2.6.18 kernels on an FC6
> > > laptop and encountered a problem in that the 2.6.19 suspend2 kernels,
> > > unlike older ones, do not provide "kernel", just "kernel-i686".  This
> > > causes yum to want to remove needed packages, or rpm to complain about
> > > dependencies.  Don't know if this is a problem with standard kernels,
> > > smp kernels, ..., or not.  Details follow.  (The file RPMS_Installed has
> > > a list of all current RPMs to avoid repeated "rpm -q" queries.)
> >
> > That looks more like a yum bug,
>
> Don't think so - seems to be a real dependency problem.
>
> > > [root at hazard2 ~]# yum remove `grep -E "kernel|kmdl|suspend2" RPMS_Installed | grep 18`
> >
> > what happens if you replace "yum remove" with "rpm --test -e"?
>
> Not at work right now to supply the exact error, but I did try "rpm
> -e ...".  That's what I meant by "This causes yum to want to remove
> needed packages, or rpm to complain about dependencies." above. The rpm
> erase failed due to the unsatisfied dependencies if the
> kernel-suspend2-2.6.18 packages were to be removed.

> I'm relatively certain the problem is the failure of the 2.6.19 kernels
> to provide "kernel" as I said, and demonstrated, earlier.  Not a yum
> problem. (e.g. "a severe bug")  See below...

OK, I can see clearer, now, it looks like you *only* have
kernel-suspend2 installed and no vendor kernels anymore, so the system
effectively thinks you have no kernel at all and some packages require
a kernel ;)

I understand the problem now. But we can't fix it (I think). There is
an ugly rpm bug, that compares virtual provides with non-virtual
package names. This leads to spurious erasures when upgrading a
package. This doesn't happen with kernel usually, because you install
them, but it's still rather dangerous (e.g. rpm -Uhv kernel-suspend2*
will nuke kernel). That's probably the reason why Matthias
removed/renamed the provides.

Hm, needs some thinking. First of all thanks a lot for the report, and
for your trust in running only suspend2 kernels :)

Could you please cut and paste the relevant findings of the bug to
bugzilla.atrpms.net? I'll get Matthias on the Cc and we'll hopefully
find some better solution. Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net