[ATrpms-users] Kernel modules and source RPMS
bubbaslash at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 05:41:05 CET 2006
On 1/5/06, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 09:38:49PM -0500, John Clabaugh wrote:
> > >From what I read, it seems like only the module needs to be patched
> > and compiled, so maybe I will luck out. Are there any tricks to
> > getting the module to compile properly (special .config or environment
> > variables)? Thanks again for the resource you provide.
> You should keep the same .config like the kernel you build for. The
> build needs to be done against the kernel tree configured and
> prepared. Sometimes kernel-devel in enough, sometimes not. I use full
> blown out kernel trees to be sure.
> Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Just to give an update, here is what I have done thus far:
1. rpm -ihv kernel-2.6.14-1.1653_FC4.src.rpm
2. rpmbuild -bp --target=noarch /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec
3. ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.14/linux-2.6.14 /usr/src/linux
4. cp /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/kernel-2.6.14-i686.config /usr/src/linux/.config
5. rpm -ihv alsa-driver-1.0.10-42.rhfc4.at.src.rpm
6. At this point, I wasn't sure how to go about the rpmbuild command,
so I just untared
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/alsa-driver-1.0.10rc3.tar.bz2 and copied the
portion that I needed into the kernel tree.
7. I applied the patch to hda_codec.c
8. /usr/src/linux/make modules
9. cp /usr/src/linux/sound/pci/hda/*.ko
Unfortunately, after all this I see that I'm getting "Unknown symbol"
errors when I try to modprobe the patched modules. I did notice that
the patched modules were about 10x the size of the original modules,
so I tried running "strip -d" on them. That didn't help. I'm
guessing that step 6 is killing me here. Any hints?
More information about the atrpms-users