[ATrpms-users] Re: Virtual packages and multiple kernels?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net
Thu Jul 14 15:35:59 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 01:45:27PM -0700, Alan Hagge wrote:
> Is there a way to use apt & virtual packages to install kernel files for
> ANY matching kernel on the machine, instead of just the RUNNING one?

Yes, see below.

> Specifically, I'm looking at the nvidia-graphics package.  I have 2
> kernels on my machine (the UP and the SMP kernels, same revision), and
> I'd like to be able to just say:
>
>    apt-get install nvidia-graphics7667

The proper way is to tell apt/yum/smart which kernel to install for
with

apt-get install foo-kmdl-$KERNEL foo

> and have both the UP and SMP kernel modules installed along with the
> rest of the dependent RPMs (and of course only have it install the UP
> module if I have a machine with only the UP kernel installed, etc.).  Is
> there a way to do this?
>
> Also, ideally, I'd like to just say:
>
>    apt-get install nvidia-graphics

That should already work. It currently points to 7174.

> and have the most recent driver installed, but that doesn't seem to work
> with the latest RPMS.  Is there any alternative syntax?

for KERNEL in <list of kernels>; do
  apt-get install foo-kmdl-$KERNEL
done

<list of kernels> could be simply `uname -r` or even
`rpm -q --qf '%{version}-%{release}\n' kernel`
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net