[ATrpms-devel] Updated coretemp kmdl?

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 21:53:56 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 01:08:15PM -0500, Brian Long wrote:

>> > this looks like a nice packaging project!
>> >
>> > You should use the compiler etc. as given by the Makefile under
>> > %{kmdl_kernelsrcdir}. Or you could copy the Makefile/Kbuild parts from
>> > the kernel tree.
>> Axel,
>> Do you have a recommended kmdl src.rpm I should look at for updating
>> coretemp and possibly other hwmon modules (i.e. lm90)?  I've looked at
>> the video4linux and nvidia-graphics190.53 src.rpms.  It appears the
>> video4linux does roughly what I want, so I believe I'll play with its
>> spec file.
>
> Yes, and you probably just need something like
>
> %build
> %kmdl_config
> %if %{kmdl_userland}
> %else
> make -C %{kmdl_kernelsrcdir} SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules
> %endif
>
> %install
> rm -rf %{buildroot}
> mkdir %{buildroot}
> %if %{kmdl_userland}
> %else
> make -C %{kmdl_kernelsrcdir} SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules_install \
>  INSTALL_MOD_PATH=%{buildroot} INSTALL_MOD_DIR=updates/where/it/should/go
>  DESTDIR=%{buildroot}
> if [ -d %{buildroot}%{kmdl_moduledir}/../extra ]; then
>  mv %{buildroot}%{kmdl_moduledir}/../extra/* %{buildroot}%{kmdl_moduledir}/where/it/should/go
> fi
>
> %endif

The above worked, but some of the modules in the drivers/hwmon from
2.6.32.8 will not build on 2.6.31.12 from F12.  I've not tried on F11
2.6.30.x yet.  I've written a Makefile.patch to fix the compile-time
issues and get as many modules as possible to build.  Should I just
concentrate the new kmdl on containing those modules specific for the
Intel Atom or should I include as many kmods as will build?   hwmon,
coretemp, lm90 are the primary modules I'm interested in for Intel
Atom support, but I could include the rest of the modules that also
build.

What should the RPM be called?  hwmon and hwmon-kmdl?  For a snapshot
name I was using 2_6_32_8 temporarily.  Is there a proper way to
denote that I'm building hwmon drivers from a newer kernel release?

Thanks.

/Brian/