[ATrpms-devel] FC6 yum update doesn't update nvidia-graphics kmdl

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:04:31 CEST 2007

On 3/25/07, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 07:52:28AM -0300, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> > Axel, what does make a kernel pick a module in /lib/modules/.../updates,
> > instead of the original version in its original place, as in
> video4linux?
>
> module-init-tools does that by itself, e.g. the directories under
> /lib/modules are scanned in a certain order with /updates/ first and
> /kernel/ last. The mechanism has become a bit involved lately due to
> the dynamical weak-symbols feature, but the basics are still the same.
>
> > In the nvidia case both modules are in updates.  Why one would be
> > preferred to the other?
>
> Due to the "nvidia" alias in /etc/modprobe.conf.

Axel,

I just updated an FC5 computer to 2.6.20.307 and
installed both 9746 and 9755 nvidia drivers (libs are also there).

Although  /etc/modprobe.conf contains

alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-9755

it insists in loading 9746. I rebooted and used
/usr/sbin/nvidia-graphics-switch
several times, and unless I remove 9746 module, X does not start, because
it tries to load 9746 instead of 9755.

Definitively, something has changed in recent kernels.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ