[ATrpms-devel] Repo tags

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Apr 30 13:24:56 CEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 07:03:59AM -0300, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> On 4/29/07, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >Hi, Axel
> >
> >I was browsing ATrpms repo and found
> >
> >http://dl.atrpms.net/fc6-x86_64/atrpms/stable/lame-3.97-16.fc6.x86_64.rpm
> >

>>http://dl.atrpms.net/fc6-x86_64/atrpms/stable/mplayer-skin-mini-0.1-11.1..noarch.rpm

The latter is a bug. :/

> >built today. Will you drop the repo tag?
>

> Also, a lot of things in FC5 are called rhfc5 again:
>
> http://dl.atrpms.net/fc5-i386/atrpms/stable/lame-3.97-16.rhfc5.i386.rpm

This one's, too. :/

Both will be fixed in the next day or so, let's hope there is no more
of these. :/

> I think something is wrong in your macros ....

Yes, I'm dropping repotags and these bugs are side-effects of trying
to teach my buildsystem that assumed perpetual repotags.

The reason is that repos are dropping repotags one by one and the ones
keeping the repotag get to be the ones getting the support issues, as
the others suddenly become more official to end users.

It started with freshrpms last year and while I started to keep track
of what packages are being confused, now the new player in the game,
epel, decide to also not have repotags. As a consequence Dag and Dries
will also drop repotags, so the majority of packages will be w/o
repotags, therefore I decided to go alone and not have all the pain
dropped onto me. :/

I'm a big believer of repotags, but they only work if all repos use
them. A black sheep can destroy this system, and that's what
happened. I spent about two months real time worth of discussion on
the epel lists to change people's minds, but obviously didn't succeed.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net