[ATrpms-devel] Re: mplayer vidix output fails on nvidia and sis cards

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net
Thu Feb 24 22:47:20 CET 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 01:35:14PM -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 24 February 2005 03:08, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > Nope. Should I be?
> >
> > No, but I thought vidix only works if you have root permissions.
>
> Aha. I'd never tried running as root. That does indeed work as root. The
> problem is that the default is vidix for all users, not just root, and
> instead of falling back to xv, mplayer just dies,

That shouldn't happen, the indended behaviour is that mplayer tests
the vidix drivers and finally gives up on them. You should find lines
in mplayer's output like

[nvidia_vid] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted

and then it bails out of vidix and goes for xv.

> unless you give an -vo xv flag or set up per-user config files for
> mplayer. So perhaps create /root/.mplayer/config with a default
> video output method of vidix, but I don't think setting it in
> /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf is a good thing.

I wouldn't argue about whether vidix or xv as first drivers, we can go
xv first, but still the behaviour you report shouldn't happen. It
doesn't on my nvidia boxes, and mplayer has been dl'ed quite a lot of
times, so I assume if the issue was in the package, it should have
popped up earlier.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net